Views of Hamilton County
Blue Rounded Corner

A Transient Vendor’s License is for out of state businesses that do not have a physical location (temporary premises) in Tennessee and are selling merchandise to the public (T.C.A 67-4-702). Transient Vendors shall pay a fee of $50.00 for each 14-day period. Transient Vendors will pay their tax liability prior to the first day of engaging in business. Transient Vendors shall not be liable for the tax levied under Business Tax (T.C.A 67-4-709). This does not pertain to class 4 out of state contractors.


“Transient vendor” means any person who brings into temporary premises and exhibits stocks of merchandise to the public for the purpose of selling or offering to sell the merchandise to the public.


“Transient vendor” does not include any person selling goods by sample, brochure, or sales catalog for future delivery, or to sales resulting from the prior invitation to the seller by the owner or occupant of a residence.


For purposes of this definition, “merchandise” means any consumer item that is, or is represented to be, new or not previously owned by a consumer, and “temporary premises” means any public or quasi-public place, including a hotel, rooming house, storeroom, building or part of a building, tent, vacant lot, railroad car or motor vehicle which is temporarily occupied for the purpose of exhibiting stocks of merchandise to the public. Premises are not temporary if the same person has conducted business at those premises for more than six consecutive months or has occupied the premises as the person’s permanent residence for more than six consecutive months.


If both of the following statements are true you can apply by mail or online.

  1. Your business is domicile outside the state of Tennessee.
  2. You are selling a product (doesn't include services).

If you are applying by mail please remit the application and $50.00 fee and mail to Hamilton County Clerk 625 Georgia Avenue, Rm 201, Chattanooga, TN 37402. Checks should be payable to “Hamilton County Clerk”. No generic, counter or second party checks are accepted.


Contact Information for Transient Vendor License

Hamilton County Clerk
625 Georgia Avenue, Room 201
Chattanooga, TN 37402
Phone: 423-209-6500
page bottom